December 13 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, July 1, 2010
ESSEX Firefighters were called to deal with a chemical incident in Harlow last Wednesday afternoon.
Crews from Harlow, Loughton, Old Harlow and Grays attended the Synthoma chemical processing site, on Central Road, shortly after 2pm.
On arrival they found one tank containing approximately 1000 litres of vinyl acetate vapouring off. A 200m hazard zone was put in place around the site, with the road being closed in both directions.
The incident was eventually dealt with by 4.10pm after the chemical was deluged with water by on-site facilities.
Station commander John Sherrington, from Harlow Fire Station, said: “The vinyl acetate was self heating in the tank which caused it to expand and vapourise, this in turn activated the alarm and automatic deluge system on the tank.
“Fire crews set up a hazard zone and were on stand by if the worst was to happen, approximately 50 employees were safely evacuated from the site before the arrival of the fire service.”